Art cities around Lake Trasimeno
Amoung the numerous castles set in the environs of Perugia, Corciano is worth a visit. Its medieval walls are very well preserved.
The church of St. Cristoforo exhibits the collection of frescoes removed from the wall, among which two 15th century works by Giuseppe Laudati and several religious objects.
Nearby is the Museum of the Farmer's house whose exhibition shows the real love of the Umbrians for rural life. The parish-church of St. Maria preserves a Gonfalon by Bonfigli (1472) and a work by Perugino (1513).
On the outskirts is the 14th century Church of St. Francesco.
Castiglione del Lago
Castiglione del Lago is the most important village by the Trasimeno Lake. From the promontory of its castles to the west, it has dominated the lake from the Middle Ages. Around 1500 it became the dukedome of the Corgna family that commissioned the present Town Hall where you will admire several interesting 16th century mythological frescoes. The Church of Maddalena keeps the delightful painting by Eusebio from St. Giorgio illustrating the "Madonna and Child".
Drive along the coastal road and you will rich the "Torrente Sanguinante" and "Ossaia" that take their names from the historical event which occurred here in 217 BC, when Hannibal attacked and won the Romans in these unsecure places.
- The Church of S.Maria Maddalena
- Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo
- The Church of S. Domenico di Guzman
- Palazzo Della Corgna
- The Leone fortress
Passignano sul Trasimeno
Passignano is a city-casle situated on a rocky promontory on the north side of lake Trasimeno on the slopes of the hill/forest system.
The Fortress probably of Longobard origin from the 5th-6th century, makes up the first nucleus of the castle that was enlarged up to the bank of the lake in three distinct historical periods. At today are remaining just the triangular tower (Clock Tower) and some long stretches of the wall.
The church of St. Christopher contains a cicle of frescoes of great interest by several artists between the 11th and 14th century. In the center of the historic city the church of St. Bernardine was built in the 1400s with its beautiful sandstone portal. In the lower piazza is the Oratory of Blessed Sacraments.
To the west of city is the Temple of our Lady of the Olive: it was consecrated before 1600 and later embellished with precious stucco-work, paintings and marble.